Golden Globes 2011: Ricky Gervais’s Top 10 Zingers of the Night
When asked if he was planning to push the envelope as the host of tonight’s Golden Globe Awards, Ricky Gervais told Natalie Morales, “It depends on how drunk I am — I’ve got a few things that I might do. It depends how cruel I feel.” From the way things turned out, we’re guessing that he had a lot to drink over the next hour or so — quite possibly via an intravenous drip. Click through for 10 of the best zingers of the night, and be sure to add any that we missed in the comments.
1. “It’s going to be a night of partying and heaving drinking — or as Charlie Sheen calls it: breakfast.”
2. “Everything this year was three-dimensional, except the characters in The Tourist. I feel bad about that joke. I’m jumping on the bandwagon, because I haven’t even seen that movie. Who has?”
3. “Do you want to go see Cher? No. Why not? Because it’s not 1975.”
4. “There were a lot of big films that didn’t get nominated. Nothing for Sex and the City 2. I was sure the Golden Globes for special effects would go to the team that airbrushed that poster.”
5. “Also not nominated I Love You Phillip Morris. Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor. Two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay. So, the complete opposite of some famous Scientologist… My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke.”
6. “Our first presenter is beautiful, talented, and Jewish apparently. Mel Gibson told me that. He’s obsessed. Please welcome Scarlett Johansson.”
7. “Who are our next presenter from such films as Hudson Hawk, Look Who’s Talking, Mercury Rising, Color of Night, The Fifth Element, Hart’s War. Please welcome Aston Kutcher’s dad, Bruce Willis.”
8. “Next up, Eva Longoria has the daunting task of introducing the president of the Hollywood Foreign Press. That’s nothing, I had just had to help him off the toilet and pop his teeth in.”
9. “I love this next presenter; he’s so cool. He’s the star of Iron Man. Two Girls and a Guy. Wonderboys. I’m sorry are these porn films? Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Bowfinger? Up the Academy. Come on! He has done all of those films, but many of you in this room probably know him best from such facilities as The Betty Ford Clinic and the Los Angeles County Jail. Robert Downey, Jr.”
10. “And thank you to God. For making me an atheist.”
Update via The Daily What:
“Ricky will not be invited back to host the show next year, for sure. For sure any movie he makes he can forget about getting nominated. He humiliated the organization last night and went too far with several celebrities whose representatives have already called to complain.” — A Hollywood Foreign Press Association member, speaking anonymously with AOL’s PopEater.