The Morning’s Top 5 Pop Culture Stories
1. Gawker asks what many of us were wondering last night as we watched the Oscars: Was James Franco totally stoned? As Max Read’s post points out, various critics described him as “heavy-lidded and smirky” ( The Washington Post ); “a tad bewildered” (Moviefone); “mellow” (Entertainment Weekly); “distant [and] uninterested” ( The Hollywood Reporter ); “distracted” (Los Angeles Times); “bored” (BBC); “[in] a haze” (Time); “preparing for a remake of Dazed and Confused” (USA Today).
2. Frank Buckles, the last living World War I veteran, passed away yesterday of natural causes at his home near Charles Town, West Virginia. He was 110. [via The Daily What]
3. The first trailer for the new anime Thundercats aired on Cartoon Network over the weekend; check it out here.
4. Charlie Sheen says that he plans to sue CBS for stopping production on Two and a Half Men, and he’s asking for $3 million per missed episode — that’s a million more than what he currently makes. [via NYT]
5. In case you fell asleep before Jimmy Kimmel’s post-Oscar special last night like we did, watch Scarlett Johansson, Jessica Alba, and Lindsay Lohan don spandex in an ad for the “Hottie Body Hump Club,” but be warned — Jimmy’s wearing spandex, too. [via Vulture]