The Morning's Top 5 Pop Culture Stories
1. Tony Award-winning playwright and director Arthur Laurents (who wrote the books for West Side Story and Gypsy) passed away earlier today due to complications of pneumonia. He was believed to be 93. [via LAT]
2. After nearly a decade of false starts, production on Live to Tell, the screenplay that Tupac Shakur wrote while serving a jail sentence in 1995, is slated to begin early next year. The film tells the story of a teen druglord trying to make a fresh start of it. [via Vulture]
3. Weird and weirder: They’re making a Love Actually-style romantic comedy out of What to Expect When You’re Expecting (“five couples experience the surprises that happen when a stork visit is imminent”), and it’s set to star Cameron Diaz. [via Deadline]
4. Subtle Sexuality, aka the pop group featuring Kelly (Mindy Kaling) and Erin (Ellie Kemper) from The Office, has released a new single called “The Girl Next Door.” Check out the music video here.
5. In case you missed it last night, watch former SNL castmates Jimmy Fallon, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler , and Rachel Dratch take a ride on a magical elevator that transforms them into Jersey Shore characters. (Unfortunately, Questlove refused to participate.) [via Vulture]