The Morning’s Top 5 Pop Culture Stories
1. “After leaving the governor’s office I told my wife about this event, which occurred over a decade ago. I understand and deserve the feelings of anger and disappointment among my friends and family. There are no excuses and I take full responsibility for the hurt I have caused. I have apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry.” – The real reason behind Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver’s recent split — the fact that he father a child with a longtime staffer — has finally come out.
2. As part of its “Find the Future” Centennial celebration, the New York Public Library has launched a free iPad app that allows users to search, scroll, and zoom around on select items in its vast research collection, beginning with the NYPL’s vast holdings on the 1939-1940 World’s Fair. [via Book Bench]
3. In case you missed the Factor last night, watch the best parts of Jon Stewart and Bill O’Reilly’s face off over whether or not Common should have been invited to a poetry reading at the White House here.
4. Jack White is reportedly in talks to re-record the music for a film adaptation of The Kinks’ 1975 concept album, Schoolboys In Disgrace. Says Bobcat Goldthwait, who’s working on the project with Ray Davies: “It’s the genesis story of a supervillain set to music. It’s the story of the world’s most charming criminal and a realistic high school musical for all the kids who hate sugary, sweet, unrealistic high school musicals.” [via NME]
5. In case you’re not planning to head to GaGaville to preview new songs from Lady Gaga’s Born This Way, “Marry The Night,” the first to debut there, is streaming right here.