1. The Hangover Part II, which grossed $86 million over the holiday weekend, set a box-office record for both the biggest opening ever for a live-action comedy and an R-rated comedy. [via MTV News]
2. Jersey Shore star Snooki crashed her Fiat into a police car in Florence over the weekend. Nobody was seriously injured in the collision, but the two officers in the vehicle — who were ironically part of the security detail assigned to protect the safety of the reality show’s cast — were taken to a hospital with whiplash. [via Gawker]
3. Attention fantasy nerds: Peter Jackson’s two-film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit now have official titles and release dates: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (the subtitle for the original 1937 novel) is expected to hit theaters December 14, 2012 and The Hobbit: There and Back Again (an homage to one of the book’s chapters, “An Unexpected Party”) will follow on December 13, 2013. [via EW]
4. The good news: Thanks in large part to Amazon’s decision to sell Lady Gaga’s new album Born This Way for 99 cents for two days last week, it’s on track to sell more than one million copies in its first week. The kind of sad news: That’s still nowhere near the first-week sales record of 2.42 million which was set by ‘N Sync’s No Strings Attached back in 2000. [via LAT]
5. If you’re feeling like your morning could use a few more fairies, watch the first three minutes of Season 4 of True Blood here. The new season airs on HBO on June 26th.