The Morning's Top 5 Pop Culture Stories
1. The 63rd Primetime Emmy nominations were announced this morning, and the big trends seem to be first-time nominees and HBO dramas — specifically Mildred Pierce (21 nods), Boardwalk Empire (18 nods), and Game of Thrones (13 nods). The awards show, which will be hosted by Jane Lynch, airs on September 18 on Fox. [via THR]
2. MTV has picked up a second season of Teen Wolf, which we were surprised to learn was the network’s highest-rated new show over the 2010-2011 season. [via Vulture]
3. The Avett Brothers debuted a new song when they played CMT’s Unplugged last night; watch a clip of them performing “The Once and Future Carpenter” here.
4. Martin Scorsese is planning to premiereLiving In The Material World, his documentary on The Beatles’ George Harrison, on HBO in October, before it’s released on DVD. According to NME, “The project has been co-produced with the guitarist’s widow Olivia and will feature home movies and interviews with the surviving band members.”
5. If you’re still a fan of Project Runway in spite of what happened with Mondo, you might be interested to hear that Lifetime just released the full roster of designers competing in the reality show’s ninth season, which starts on July 28. Which of these 20 contestants do you plan on rooting for? [via The Cut]