The Morning’s Top 5 Pop Culture Stories
1. The Spike Jonze-directed video for Jay-Z and Kanye West‘s “Otis” is such a big deal that it will premiere tonight at 8:56pm on MTV, MTV2, mtvU, MTV.com, and BET. [via MTV]
2. Roseanne Barr is planning to followup her delightful new Lifetime reality show with a sitcom called Downwardly Mobile that’s about “a tight-knit blue-collar family struggling to make ends meet.” While we absolutely adore Roseanne, we’re not sure this premise is going to work after we’ve seen her tooling around her 40-acre macadamia nut farm in Hawaii in a golf cart. [via Vulture]
3. Here is a peek at Misonni’s new home collection for Target, which arrives in stores in September. We want it all, especially the bicycle.
4. We find it hard to believe that Jennifer Grey is as excited about the Dirty Dancing remake as she says she is, but maybe she thinks that if she plays it nice, Kenny Ortega will throw her a cameo.
5. The lovely Aretha Franklin will be honored with the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz’s Founder’s Award at the organization’s 25th anniversary in Washington DC next month; performances by past winners and jazz greats like Herbie Hancock and Dianne Reeves are already planned for the gala concert, but organizers are hoping that Aretha will do a number too. [via Arts Beat]