The Morning’s Top 5 Pop Culture Stories
1. Patti Smith and the Kronos Quartet accepted the 2011 Polar Music Prize at a ceremony in Stockholm yesterday. The annual award — which is Sweden’s highest music honor — was founded by Stig Anderson (aka ABBA’s manager), back in 1989. [via BBC]
2. Hopping on board the ’90s nostalgia bandwagon, ABC is taking on a new comedy from writers Jennifer Crittenden (Seinfeld) and Gabrielle Allan (Scrubs) that will “revolve around a ‘super cool’ 1990s all-girl band who, after 20 years of bad blood, tries to reunite though they’re no longer girls and no longer cool.” Hmm… [via THR]
3. Did you realize that Lady Gaga was wearing a prosthetic penis at the VMAs? [via Vulture]
4. “With Fleetwood Mac, there’s a lot of landmines out there politically and it’s hard to get everybody on the same page at the same time – but I think this might be one of those years where everyone will want to do the same thing.” – Lindsey Buckingham tells Rolling Stone that Fleetwood Mac will return next year
5. Here’s an even better look at Henry Cavill in his Superman costume from the set of Man of Steel. It’s much more alien-like than previous incarnations of the famed suit.