The Morning’s Top 5 Pop Culture Stories
1. Steven Seagal is being sued by an Arizona man named Jesus Sanchez Llovera after taking part in a raid in which police — who were attempting to bust an alleged cockfighting ring — arrived on the scene in a tank and shot and killed the guy’s puppy. What Llovera wants: $100,000 in damages and a formal written apology from Seagal. [via The Daily Beast]
2. A controversial new kid’s coloring book that graphically depicts the events of 9/11 has already completely sold out in its initial run of 10,000 copies. [via GalleyCat]
3. Did you know that Richard Linklater is planning to direct a movie about Karl Rove back in his early days at the University of Utah? Even curiouser: Paul Dano is set to star in the project. [via BBC]
4. In case you were wondering, this is supposedly the ugliest new building to go up in Great Britain in the past year.
5. The Smashing Pumpkins have launched a record club, and while we’re not sure what it really entails, if you sign up now you get a free download of an early 8-track demo version of “Drown,” with promises of more freebies to come. [via Stereogum]