1. Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol topped a holiday weekend box office that was slightly down compared to this time last year, pulling in an estimated $26.5 million. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows landed in second place with $17.8 million, and Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked finished in third with $13.3 million. [via WSJ Speakeasy]
2. Marvel has confirmed that the rumors are true: TV vet Alan Taylor, who has directed several episodes of Game of Thrones, will replace Patty Jenkins at the helm of Thor 2. [via THR]
3. New patent filings have revealed that Apple is planning to power its laptops and smartphones with longer-lasting hydrogen fuel cells in the not-so-distant future, thus eliminating “the need for a bulky and heavy battery.” [via Telegraph]
4. PETA has dubbed Janet Jackson — who launched a line of fur accessories in November — its Grinch of the Year. Explains a spokesperson: “When Janet Jackson had her infamous wardrobe malfunction during Super Bowl XXXVIII, at least what popped into view of 170 million onlookers belonged to her, unlike the animal skins she drapes herself in, which are as dead as her fashion taste and her career.” [via NME]
5. As promised, Lady Gaga released “Stuck On F–kin’ You” yesterday as a Christmas gift to her fans. Listen to the track, which was recorded in a single take, and features one and half minutes of Gaga “freestyling,” here.
Bonus Buzz: Francis Ford Coppola Predicts YouTube in 1991