The Morning’s Top 5 Pop Culture Stories
1. You know what you need to wake you up after the long holiday weekend? A new Odd Future video, directed by Tyler, the Creator. Watch the NSFW clip for “Rella” here, but be warned: Tyler as a creepy centaur is not the scariest thing that you’ll see.
2. One of four versions of Edvard Munch’s famed painting The Scream is set to be auctioned off at Sotheby’s this May; according to estimates, the work (which is the only one in private hands) should bring in more than $80 million. [via ArtsBeat]
3. “As the hub around which the republic turns, I can understand why the machinery of this great nation ground to a halt last week when you were denied [motions to face] this. Now I know you felt the same way I do when I’m in a room with no mirrors.” — Stephen Colbert returned to the air last night following a brief hiatus due to his mother’s illness; watch his full opening monologue, which includes a sweet nod at a certain “lovely lady,” here.
4. It has been announced that Blur is headlining the Olympics’ Closing Ceremony Celebration Concert in London’s Hyde Park this summer; they’ll be joined on the ‘Best Of British’-themed bill by New Order and The Specials. [via NME]
5. In case you’re curious, here are those leaked collaborations between Rihanna and Chris Brown — an expanded version of Rihanna’s “Birthday Cake” and a remix of Brown’s single “Turn Up the Music.” Do you think the end result lives up to all of the controversy?