The Morning’s Top 5 Pop Culture Stories
1. Yesterday The Hunger Games — which doesn’t hit theaters until March 23rd, mind you — beat the record set by Twilight: Eclipse for first day advance ticket sales on Fandango. As diehard Katniss fans, we suppose this is a good thing, but we’re not sure we’ll be strong enough to brave scary throngs of teenage girls. [via Vulture]
2. Of course Sacha Baron Cohen decided to respond to the Academy’s threat to ban him from Sunday’s Oscars ceremony in character as Admiral General Aladeen. Watch the clip of his hilarious appearance on the Today Show here.
3. Check out the extremely lo-fi cover art for Spirtualized’s upcoming album, Sweet Heart Sweet Light (which is due out on April 17 on Fat Possum), as well as one of the tracks — an eight and a half minute song you may have already heard live called “Hey Jane.” [via Pitchfork]
4. Apparently Justin Bieber is not happy about a new mobile app called “Joustin’ Beaver,” and he’s taking legal action to have it removed from iTunes; RC3, the company behind the cartoon game, claims that as a parody, it’s protected by the First Amendment. [via TMZ]
5. Here are two new preview clips for Odd Future’s forthcoming Adult Swim series, Loiter Squad, which premieres on March 25th. The first is a skit called “Hashtag Court,” the second, a song about really liking cheese.
Bonus Buzz: Cats Are Bastards