The Morning’s Top 5 Pop Culture Stories
1. The rather excellent looking new Wes Anderson movie, Moonrise Kingdom, will kick off this year’s Cannes Film Festival on May 16th before opening in the US on May 25th. Can you believe that this will be the auteur’s first time screening one of his films there? [via Vulture]
2. Apparently Britney Spears has been offered $10 million to join the second season of The X-Factor as a judge. She’s probably crazy enough to fill Paula Abdul’s shoes and a much more relevant choice than Janet Jackson, right? [via Deadline]
3. Action No. 1, a new movie based on the true story of a group of nerds who stole Nicolas Cage’s incredibly rare and valuable copy of the first Superman comic, will not star Nic. Apparently Jason Statham is being eyed for the role, but we’d like to suggest the obvious choice here: Andy Samberg. [via The Playlist]
4. E! Online is exclusively reporting that Glee is currently shooting a tribute episode to Whitney Houston that will include eight of her songs, and focus on the show’s “graduating seniors having a real hard time letting go.”
5. Finally, just a friendly reminder that tickets for this year’s Pitchfork Festival, which takes place at Chicago’s Union Park July 13th – 15th, go on sale today at 1pm CST. So far the announced lineup includes Vampire Weekend, Feist, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Hot Chip, AraabMUZIK, A$AP Rocky, the Field, Liturgy, Kendrick Lamar, Grimes, Cloud Nothings, Tim Hecker, and Willis Earl Beal.