The Morning’s Top 5 Pop Culture Stories
1. Danny Boyle’s 86-track playlist for the upcoming Olympic opening ceremony in London has leaked, and it doesn’t feature anything from Sir Paul McCartney or Sir Elton John, but notably does include “God Save the Queen” by the Sex Pistols! [via Stereogum]
2. Curious as to what former Sonic Youth frontman Thurston Moore’s new band Chelsea Light Moving sounds like? Listen to “Burroughs,” a track inspired by the godfather of punk, here.
3. We wonder how Jed Bartlet would react to the news that Charlie Sheen will play the President of the United States in Robert Rodriguez’s followup to Machete, especially considering that the director has also cast Mel Gibson in the film — perhaps with an inspirational speech? [via Deadline]
4. Right wing conservative blogger Debbie Schlussel is accusing Zayn Malik, a member of the boy band One Direction, of “inciting jihad” and “pimping Islam” to his young female fans. She’s also mad that he likes to wear cotton scarves. [via NME]
5. Casey Affleck plans to write and direct a film about baseball player Josh Hamilton’s transformation from crack addict to American League MVP. While we’re not big sports fans, we’re sure we’ll enjoy it more than his fake documentary about Joaquin Phoenix. [via Vulture]