The Morning’s Top 5 Pop Culture Stories
1. The first official image of Daniel Day Lewis in Steven Spielberg’s Lincoln — a biopic which will focus on the last four months of the President’s life — has arrived online, and we think the resemblance is pretty uncanny. The film hits theaters in November, which hopefully means that we’ll be seeing a trailer any day now.
2. “She’s spectacular. I got a chance to see Batman, and she was the best thing in it. That’s just my personal opinion.” — President Obama is evidently a huge Anne Hathaway fan. We blame Sasha and Malia.
3. Tina Brown will executive produce a new HBO movie about Norman Mailer’s controversial relationship with prisoner Jack Abbot, a convicted killer who assisted the author in writing his 1980 Pulitzer Prize-winning book, The Executioner’s Song. [via THR]
4. Fox is planning to launch a new series based on Alex Garland’s 1996 novel The Beach — which was previously adapted as a movie directed by Danny Boyle and starring Leonardo DiCaprio. [via Deadline]
5. “Once you have a three season show, it really doesn’t matter that there’s some rumor circulated out there by the the people who made the strange decision to fire you.” — In an interesting interview with KCRW’s The Business, Dan Harmon discusses being fired by Sony and equates NBC moving Community to Friday nights with trying to “smother it with a pillow very quietly.”