The Morning’s Top 5 Pop Culture Stories
1. The Mert & Marcus-shot cover for the September issue of Vogue — which features Lady Gaga in an amazing, fuchsia Marc Jacob dress — leaked online late last night, and boy is it a looker! [via Refinery29]
2. Deadline has some new details regarding Sunday night’s Olympics Closing Ceremony lineup, which at this point includes The Who, Paul McCartney, Elton John, the Rolling Stones, George Michael, Paul Weller, the Spice Girls, Adele, Ray Davies, Liam Gallagher, Annie Lennox, Madness, the Pet Shop Boys, Take That, Muse, One Direction, and members of Queen.
3. In honor of the show’s 50th anniversary, the BBC has commissioned a new 90-minute Doctor Who special that explores “the genesis of the character” and will air sometime next year. [via Pop Culture Brain]
4. “And maybe if this trial turns out as the prosecutors want it to, with the women getting at least 3 years, we all play benefits and go to Russia en masse under the banner that we are all Pussy Riot, Yoko Ono could be in Pussy Riot, Patti Smith could be wearing a mask next to a troupe of girls from Tennessee storming the Cathedral of Christ the Savior screaming ‘We are all Pussy Riot!!!'” — Kathleen Hanna offers up her support for Russian punk trio Pussy Riot in a post on her blog.
5. Sorry, Drake: According to Aaliyah’s brother, “There is no official album being released and supported by the Haughton family.” [via NME]
Bonus Buzz: 1994 Was The Awesomest Year For Music