The Morning’s Top 5 Pop Culture Stories
1. “It was a weird, confusing space to be in, because as angry as I was, as angry and hurt and betrayed, I just felt like he made that mistake because he needed help and who’s going to help him? Nobody’s going to say he needs help. Everybody’s going to say he’s a monster without looking at the source, and I was more concerned about him.” — Rihanna discusses Chris Brown in a new interview with Oprah which airs on Sunday.
2. In other Brown-related news, after their fight at a New York City club earlier this summer, Drake and the rapper are now being sued for $16 million worth of “gross negligence,” “ultrahazardous activity,” and “intentional illegal acts.” [via NME]
3. Jake Gyllenhaal is teaming up with Half Nelson filmmakers Ryan Fleck and Anna Boden on a new project about a “down-on-his-luck gambler” and “younger gambling addict” who take a road trip throughout the South. May we suggest Bill Murray for the older guy? [via THR]
4. Lucy Lawless will be playing Ron Swanson’s new love interest in at least a few episodes of the upcoming season of Parks and Rec. If anyone is tough enough to take on the multiple Tammys in his life, it’s Xena. [via Inside TV]
5. While the details on his character are currently scarce, we’re super excited to hear that Mad Men star John Slattery will appear in several episodes of the fourth season of Arrested Development. [via THR]
Bonus Buzz: Shark Dispels Lies About His Species