The Morning’s Top 5 Pop Culture Stories
1. Out of precaution Tom Brokaw has been taken to a hospital in Charlotte after feeling light-headed during an appearance on MSNBC’s Morning Joe. According to a statement from NBC News, “He is being evaluated and is in good spirits.” [via The Wrap]
Update from @tombrokaw: “All is well Early AM I mistakenly took a half dose of Ambien and made less sense than usual. Made a better comeback than Giants…”
2. No surprises here, but Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe” has been named Billboard’s top Song of the Summer. Maroon 5’s “Payphone” took the number two spot, and Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used to Know” rounded out the top three.
3. In case you missed it yesterday, Animal Collective debuted a new song on KCRW’s Morning Becomes Eclectic. Listen to their live performance of “Crimson” here.
4. J.J. Abrams has sold a pilot for a futuristic drama about a group of Los Angeles-based robot cops to Fox. Is it just us, or is it almost like he’s not even trying anymore? [via Inside TV]
5. Billy Corgan says that he’s busy at work on “a spiritual memoir” that will contain “plenty of sex and drugs and rock ‘n’ roll’.” He’s also currently writing songs for a followup to latest Smashing Pumpkins (and we use that term loosely) album, Oceania. [via NME]
Bonus Buzz: ‘The Sandlot’: Where Are They Now?