The Morning’s Top 5 Pop Culture Stories
1. In case you missed it, Animal Collective went on Conan last night to promote their new album Centipede Hz, playing “Today’s Supernatural” behind set pieces that looked like weird glowing teeth. Watch a clip of the performance here.
2. “It’s a very funny story, but at some point after Season 3 of The Wire, and we introduced the political in Season 3, we wrote a spinoff show for city hall. We actually went to Chris Albrecht and said, ‘Here’s a pilot of a show called The Hall that follows the Carcetti character and his political career. And we want to run them in tandem.” – David Simon reveals to Salon that HBO turned down a proposed spin-off for The Wire. Can you believe?!
3. Zombieland director Ruben Fleischer has signed on to direct and executive produce an adaptation of Spy Hunter, a video game that many of you were probably addicted to back in the ’80s. [via Vulture]
4. Feist has won this year’s Polaris Music Prize for Metals; the $30,000 award, which is selected by a panel of journalists, goes to the best album of the year by a Canadian artist. [via Pitchfork]
5. And finally, here’s a new Frank Ocean track called “Blue Whale.”