The Morning’s Top 5 Pop Culture Stories
1. “Dull Tool,” a new Fiona Apple song that will be featured on the soundtrack for Judd Apatow’s upcoming comedy This Is 40, has leaked online. Give it a listen here. (On a related note, if you missed the heartbreaking handwritten letter Apple posted yesterday that explains why she’s canceling her upcoming South American tour, here it is.)
2. “I know you guys got barely any dirt. But I had to be good. I still sound like shit. It’s impossible to spend time with everybody, and I’m sorry I didn’t. Usually I will be partying back here [in coach], balls to the wall. But I had to pay attention and take care of my health since I was on the plane all the time.” — Rihanna is apparently sorry for giving the music journalists on her 777 Tour plane the silent treatment.
3. The finalists for this year’s Costa Book Awards have been announced with Hilary Mantel’s Bring Up the Bodies, Stephen May’s Life! Death! Prizes!, James Meek’s The Heart Broke In, and Joff Winterhart’s Days of the Bagnold Summer all getting nominated in the Novel category. [via The Millions]
4. Here’s the tracklist for Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors, the new album from Outkast’s Big Boi which features collaborations with A$AP Rocky, Wavves, Kelly Rowland, Little Dragon, and Jai Paul.
5. Can you believe it took 170 script revisions to get the film adaption of The Life of Pi just right? Head over to The Atlantic for a look at the first and final drafts.
Bonus Buzz: Russian Makeup: Before And After