The Morning’s Top 5 Pop Culture Stories
1. As predicted, this was the best Thanksgiving box office weekend ever. Was it because the slate of films was a lot better than it usually is, or just the diversity of the the offerings? [via Buzzfeed]
2. That’s one way not to be invited back to China: Elton John dedicated the show that he played last night in Beijing to “the spirit and talent” of dissident artist Ai Weiwei. [via AP]
3. The new issue of Mojo comes packaged with a Fleetwood Mac covers album called Rumours Revisited. Check out the contributions from Liars and Yeasayer at Stereogum.
4. “I met the Prime Minister in overalls lol.” — A tweet from Justin Bieber, who received the Diamond Jubilee Medal from Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Saturday. [via Vulture]
5. Meet our new cultural ambassador to the Middle East, Andrew WK. “I’m very thankful to the Department of State for giving me the opportunity to visit a place I’ve never been before,” the hard partying singer wrote on his website. “I feel very privileged and humbled by the chance to represent the United States of America and show the good people of Bahrain the power of positive partying. I can hardly wait for this adventure!” [via NME]