This just in from our friends at ArtsBeat: “An executive for Sesame Workshop, the non-profit organization that produces Sesame Street, said a segment on that show that upset political conservatives was ‘equal-opportunity parody,’ making fun of CNN as much as it was making fun of Fox News.” The segment in question, which aired last week, featured Oscar the Grouch playing a reporter for the Grouch News Network (GNN). When he does to upset one of his female viewers, she tells him, “From now on I am watching Pox News. Now there’s a trashy news show!” Zing!
Correction: Totally inadvertent zing! They swear.
Intended or no, we find the clip above totally hilarious. So much that we’ve decided to cast our “favorite” Fox News personalities as Sesame Street characters. Let us know if you agree with our picks in the comments.
1. Bill O’Reilly, host of The O’Reilly Factor/Oscar the Grouch
Just because this one’s obvious doesn’t make it less funny. Three words: teleprompter temper tantrum.
2. Sean Hannity, host of Hannity and Hannity’s America/Baby Bear
Baby Bear has a speech impediment and he’s Jewish. We can’t imagine a fate more delicious for the homophobic Catholic who once threatened to join Jerry Falwell’s Thomas Road Baptist Church because of his controversial views on contraception. He’s also very territorial.
3. Greta Van Susteren, host of On The Record with Greta Van Susteren/Rodeo Rosie
Rodeo Rosie is loud and likes to brag about herself a lot. She’s super American. And she may or may not have had plastic surgery.
4. Shepard Smith, host of Fox Report with Shepard Smith and Studio B//Guy Smiley
America’s Favorite Conservative Newscaster meet America’s Favorite Game Show Host. They even part their hair the same way!
5. Neil Cavuto, host of Your World with Neil Cavuto and Cavuto on Business/Professor Hastings
Professor Hastings is so boring that he often falls asleep during his own lectures. Also: Look at those glasses. A perfect match!
6. Glenn Beck, host of the Glenn Beck Show/Lefty the Salesman
While we’ve never seen him cry, Lefty’s always trying to sell Ernie strange things. Also, some nice irony with the name, don’t you think?