Filmmaker and known disaster artist Tommy Wiseau has a new TV show out! It’s called The Neighbors, it’s available on Hulu, and it’s exactly as strange as we hope a Wiseau project would be. Most importantly, though, it was an excuse for Wiseau to interact with his fans in the form of a Reddit AMA, and the results of The Room‘s creator virtually meeting his legions of sorta-ironic, sorta-not fans did not disappoint! Click through for the highlights, including sequel news and Wiseau’s favorite pizza toppings.
1. There’s going to be a sequel to The Room.
“And also 3-D, eventually.” We are all truly #blessed.
2. He personally designs the underwear that come free with a copy of The Room’s script.
This was actually offered up in response to a fan’s query of what he’d do differently if he were to shoot The Room again. His answer, after the underwear comment? “…[T]o respond to your question, definitely – definitely the aspect of what we are doing is entertainment. That’s what we do. That’s all I want to say.” Okay, then!
3. The Neighbors was *not* inspired by porn.
Yes, someone asked this question, although Wiseau seems to have interpreted it as asking whether any of the actors had previously worked in porn, because this was his (delightfully shady) response: “Yeah, first of all, you can ask whatever you like. That’s what this show is about. To respond to your question, NO. THE NEIGHBORS relates to our culture, it change. When we casting actors, I don’t ask them about their private life. They are good people, they do the job we ask them to, and as you know, people like THE NEIGHBORS.”
4. Claudette survived her breast cancer.
Fans of The Room can stop holding their breath.
5. There are optimal times to toss around a football in an alley. (Also, he hates being called Mr. Wiseau.)
For a groom-to-be making a Room parody/tribute video with his groomsmen: “I encourage you to do that number 1. And don’t call me Mr. Wiseau, I hate that, but I wish you luck in new direction in my life, and play football before you to go bed, and play football before you drink, before you get tipsy.”
6. Speaking of tossing around a football: the one person he’d like to play catch with, living or dead…
…is Joe Montana.
7. Even Wiseau has no idea what his accent is.
“I speak two languages. I have no idea, to be honest with you. It is what it is.”
8. He stands by the quality of his work.
Replying to an unrelated question: “I’m sorry for some of you guys in America we call ‘douchebags’ – I’ve been filming the past 20 years, shame on you who are bashing THE ROOM as well as the actors in THE NEIGHBORS. It is new entertainment, and people reallyreally enjoy it. That’s all I’m gonna say, moveonnextquestion.”
It was not, it turns out, all he was gonna say! “In the media, they said they didn’t know what they were doing, but we had regular rehearsal, six months before, so everything was done very professionally, and actor did very good job.”
9. The dog in the flower shop made $100 from its cameo appearance.
“It was a very unique dog. It was funny, again, this is funny experience that we have – to use the flower shop lady, she was very kind- and for some of you, eating breakfast cereal, they think we go to flower shop – these people were under contract. We are very professional people, let’s put it that way.”
10. His favorite line of his is “YOU’RE TEARING ME APART, LISA!”
Close second? “WHAT A DAY!”
11. He’s fully on board with James Franco’s adaptation of The Disaster Artist.
The two apparently bonded over their shared connection with James Dean.
12. Lisa represents American society.
“First of all, you can compare Lisa to Eleezabeth Taylor [sic], to when she did CLEOPATRA. The ladies, they don’t have to wear jeans, they can wear dresses to be very powerful.
So Lisa’s character is very powerful. She represents American society.”
13. His favorite pizza toppings are Canadian bacon and pineapple.
Which might be the strangest thing about him, because only the weirdest of weirdos actually like Hawaiian pizza.