3. Around the same time, Trump aligned himself with the right’s lunatic fringe by insisting President Obama wasn’t born in this country, and promised to unleash the campaign-changing results of his massive investigation into the birth certificate business, so President Obama was finally just like, “Eh, here’s my long-form birth certificate, now STFU already.” Less remembered: the state Health Director of Hawaii who authorized the release of that birth certificate died in a plane crash a couple of years later, and Trump went on Twitter to expose this giant conspiracy.
4. “According to Bill O’Reilly,” Trump tweeted in 2013, though seriously you could stop right there, “80% of all the shootings in New York City are blacks — if you add Hispanics, that figure goes to 98%. 1% white.”
5. When people started wondering if there was maybe something a little bit consistently racist about his views and tweets and general existence, Trump insisted, “I have a great relationship with the blacks. I’ve always had a great relationship with the blacks.” Yes, he actually said, “the blacks.” (Less noted: a 1970s battle with the DOJ over discriminatory rental practices in Trump’s properties, in which, according to the New York Times, the government alleged that his company “discriminated against blacks in the terms and conditions of rental, made statements indicating discrimination based on race and told blacks that apartments were not available for inspection and rental when, in fact, they are.”)
6. As you may recall, in spite of Trump’s powerful rhetoric and investigative prowess, President Obama somehow still won the 2012 election. Donald Trump did not take it well!
7. Like many of his Republican brethren, Trump’s total ignorance about medicine and science hasn’t stopped him from offering up all sorts of awesome, well-informed opinions about those fields. Take, for example, climate change. Did you know that “the concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make US manufacturing non-competitive?” True fact, according to Donald Trump, who also notes, “Any and all weather events are used by the GLOBAL WARMING HOAXSTERS to justify higher taxes to save our planet! They don’t believe it $$$$!”
8. Would it surprise you to learn that Trump is also an anti-vaxxer? No? Me neither! Not only that, he’s proud of his work to raise awareness of this totally discredited junk science: “So many people who have children with autism have thanked me — amazing response. They know far better than fudged up reports!”
9. Trump has claimed for a while now that he has a giant, secret, brilliant, foolproof plan to stop ISIS dead in its tracks, but he’s not gonna tell us what it is unless he gets elected, a year and a half from now. Why’s that, Trumpy? “Because I don’t want to, Greta,” he told Greta Van Susetren, with all the maturity and insight of a 12-year-old having a temper tantrum. “I don’t want the enemy to know what I’m doing. Unfortunately, I’ll probably have to tell at some point, but there is a method of defeating them quickly and effectively and having total victory.”
10. Let’s end this with a personal favorite: Back in April, Trump tweeted, “The best social program, by far, is a JOB! Our jobs are being taken away from us by China and many other countries — incompetent leader.” To which Twitter hero Joe Hufford @-replied, with photographic evidence, that the Donald J. Trump “Signature Collection” clothing line “is made in China. Care to comment?” And for once, Donald Trump didn’t have anything to say.