Exclusive: DJ Tiësto’s Favorite Spins of 2008
If you live in New York, odds are you’ve spotted a gig poster promoting Tiësto’s upcoming New Year’s Eve bash in the city. There’s already a Facebook thread devoted to it. The noted trance DJ/producer — whose most recent studio effort, Elements of Life, peaked at number one on Billboard‘s Electronic Music chart — plans to ring in 2009 at Roseland Ballroom as the final stop on his In Search of Sunrise Tour, an epic affair which took him through Mexico, the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Columbia.
“I used to play two-hour sets, and the commercial, mainstream crowds who listened to the radio and stuff weren’t happy because I only played four or five of my own tunes, and the core fans weren’t happy either, because they don’t want the hear those tracks anymore, they want to hear new stuff and deeper stuff,” the Dutch DJ has said. In returning to his “club roots”, he hopes to give people more of what they want — namely, him.
And what do we want from Tiësto? His 10 favorite albums this year. After the jump he lists them off for us — no shocker, one of his own records makes the cut. Hubris aside, consider his picks must-downloads for DJing your next house party.
1. Sigur Rós, Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaus This is a very different journey from their last album but still amazing.
2. Tegan and Sara, The Con Tegan and Sara write great songs, they’re definitely one of the coolest bands in the world.
3. Santogold, Santogold I fell in love with her after seeing her live in Los Angeles at a private party. She’s got a great style of songs.
4. M83, Saturday= Youth M83 made a very original electronic album.
5. Robbie Rivera, Back to Zero He’s a great DJ and producer and his music brings me into a party mood.
6. Ladytron, Velocifero Literally every track on this album is a winner!
7. Paul Kalkbrenner, Berlin Calling My favorite DJ/producer from Germany; this is a soundtrack of the movie he has made.
8. Ours, Mercy One of the best voices I have ever heard.
9. Priscilla Ahn, A Good Day A Good Day is a sweet and mellow album, perfect for those early morning flights.
10. Tiësto, In Search Of Sunrise 7 Asia I recorded this double album live in Thailand and is without bragging one of my best mix compilations I have ever mixed.
December 2008 Tour Dates 15, 16 – Anaheim, CA – Heat Ultra Lounge 17 – Portland, OR – Crystal Ballroom 18 – San Francisco, CA – Ruby Skye 19 – Wendover, NV – Peppermill Casino and Resort 20 – Denver, CO – Beta 21 – Aspen, CO – Belly Up 25, 26 – Las Vegas, NV – Jet 27 – Miami, FL – Liv 28 – Orlando, FL – Hard Rock Hotel 29 – Tampa, FL – Green Iguana 31 – New York, NY – Roseland Ballroom
For more information visit tiesto.com.