The year’s best directors are not all men, but the videos featuring the 2015’s best directors all seem to feature men, and only men. The latest “shop talk” video comes courtesy of The Hollywood Reporter, and features Quentin Tarantino (The Hateful Eight), Ridley Scott (The Martian), Alejandro González Iñárritu (The Revenant), Danny Boyle (Steve Jobs), Tom Hooper (The Danish Girl), and David O. Russell (Joy). They talk about all kinds of things, mostly about themselves and each other.
Some bullet points from each of the directors:
- The discussion kicks off with Tarantino continuing to rail against digital filming and projection, saying that it gives the audience no reason to leave their homes if theaters are, essentially, playing DVDs for more than $10 per ticket.
- As previously reported here, Ridley Scott goes on at lengths about the making of Blade Runner and how Stanley Kubrick helped him flesh it out with extra footage from The Shining.
- Scott also says that, if he were to choose one film to represent all of film, it would be Muriel’s Wedding.
- Also, he does yoga.
- David O. Russell was blown away by the power of soap opera actress Susan Lucci.
- Iñárritu insists, again, that The Revenant was a really tough thing to make.
- Hooper talked about Eddie Redmayne’s preparation for The Danish Girl, which included a year of outreach to the trans community.
There’s a lot more in the video, and it’s worth killing an hour of your afternoon with it, for sure. Watch it below.